Thursday, August 1, 2013

Transfer Day in July

 Ooooooh, who lives in an island out in the sea,
Elder Coombs does!
It's humid and sunny and not very big,
Where Elder Coombs is!
If preaching the Gospel be something ye wish,
like Elder Coombs does!
Then pack up your back and hand out some Books!
Preaching the Gospel, Preaching the Gospel, Preaching the Gospel, Preaching...the Gospel!






Well, there you have it. My highly creative parady of Spongebob's themesong about where I've been transferred to! I'm now in Menorca, a little island out in the Baleares. It's just that. I've been told there are like 40 members on list, and like 15 actives. Before the branch president used to be gone so the missionaries had to do just about everything, but I hear he quit his job and has time on sundays now, so now we only do almost everything haha. The reputation of the islands is basically a prison sentance. Confined to an area with little work, super expensive stuff, and low standards of morality! Needless to say, President only sends people he trusts  I got a personal phone call from him transfer night to "prepare" me. And, now I see why! It seems pretty easy to get depressed or discouraged out here haha. It's like all tourists, or people who work in tourist industries and don't have much time, rumor has it. So we'll see! Basically we're just going to turn it from a branch into a ward haha. We'll show Menorca what's boss. Also, I only got to bring one of my two suitcases, because travelling out to here is kinda expensive. So I had a little sorting to do, what is essential, what is not. Luckily, I could just leave all of my winter stuff iin one and take all my summer stuff in the other! My new companion is Elder Judd, from Sandy Utah. He's really nice, kind of quiet like me =) A big change from his last companion I hear. We pretty much own the island to ourselves, so that's another big change. We've made good use of my frisbee today =)
   So that's where I'm at. I had no time yesterday because I was in a train or airplane or some station pretty much all day. It was kinda hard to say goodbye to Valencia. Especially with some of the members. I'll send a few pics. The Hermana's had a baptism, and Elder Schindler exercised his priesthood in baptizing him, and I in confirming him. That was a neat experience. In case you are wondering, he insisted on wearing the gown instead of a shirt, who knows why.
   I'm glad mom had a fun birthday. I had heard about that video here, a member showed us the trailor for it. It looks pretty interesting. The Mormon Tab concert sounds super great. I would have loved to go! Hope you enjoyed some of it for me. Best of luck to Kyle too...he's had a super rough time!
   Sounds like trek was lots of fun! I think they purposefully chose a spot with lots of cow pies and bugs to afflict you haha. You should have prayed for a flock of seagulls to deliver you! I'm glad you learned lots, trek was a fun experience for me as well. Get a feel for the early saints, and I can only imagine Zion's camp too.
   That was a really neat miracle about Ethan's experience. Tell him to stop living on the edge so much! I liked dad's experience about the scripture and feelings. I hope that you didn't wet yourself haha  I ride trains every day, but I've never seen a place where cars can cross the tracks...so I don't know if there's too many accidents.
   It is really weird to think about how I am almost at my year now. I have thought about what happened a year ago every now and again. It makes good testimony for teaching the plan of salvation! It also makes me ponder the purposes of the Lord. As for the mission, lots of crazy things have been happening. They made two new zones. A lot of missionaries from my group are starting to become district and zone leaders and ayudantes to the president. Training too. Elder Bozarth will be our district leader here in the islands. Our district is us and them two out in Ibiza. We get to do our district meetings over Skype it sounds like. In September we'll be getting 40 new missionaries it sounds like. Quite a few! We'll see what happens!
   It was fun to hear about all the new mission calls and news. That will be pretty crazy! Did you ever get a hold of Kaleb's address/email?
  The home building seems to be putting along. That's pretty exciting. Gayla reminded me that school starts up pretty soon. It was hard for me to believe that! Better enjoy your last month of summer!
Well, I gotta go. Love you all! See you later! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment